The Lucky Trikes is a storytelling chamber band that has been delighting intergenerational Chicagoland audiences since 2014. Each storytime is curated around a theme. Dynamic, interactive readings of well-known and award-winning books are accompanied by improvised and composed music. The Lucky Trikes is composer/percussionist KG Price and storyteller/vocalist/uke player Deirdre Harrison. Rotating “third wheel” collaborators from Chicago’s new music, free jazz and indie opera scenes join for each event. A full band may also be hired for larger events. The Trikes also plays original songs by co-artistic director KG Price.
What folks say about The Lucky Trikes:
We hire the Lucky Trikes for basically every event we do! They have played in store for 10 kids and at our stage during Apple Fest for hundreds. They tailor their performance to whatever you need and keep kids and adults entertained at the same time. Kyle is such a talented musician and Dierdre may be the best storyteller I’ve ever heard. They can bring any book to life!~Scott Friedland, owner of Timeless Toy, LTD, Lincoln Square
I really enjoyed how you introduced each artist and their instrument so the kids felt comfortable and the interactive components of each story – where you stopped for questions, pointed out colors, shapes, plot twists, etc., and then how the instruments responded to highlight these moments. The entire performance was light and curious.~Rebecca Ryan, Director of Operations, Associate Professor of Music,
North Park University School of Music, Art, and Theatre
The Lucky Trikes is animated and interacts extremely well with kids.I have twins that are 3 that have really enjoyed the program and the 20 other kids that typically come with their parents have thoroughly enjoyed the program – you can tell from their reactions and the looks on their faces!~Doug Bartels, Garibaldi Park Advisory Council President
The Lucky Trikes Online:
- Excerpt from Dr. Seuss’ One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
- Crockett Johnson’s Harold and the Purple Crayon
- The Lucky Trikes’ Fly Away composed by KG Price
- Astray composed, animated, produced and directed by KG Price; featuring artist Edie Scranton
- Fly Away at Newberry Library; Jeff Kimmel, Deirdre Harrison, Mabel Kwan and KG Price
- Working with a Toddler!
- We Are the Lucky Trikes released December 2018, underwritten by the Illinois Arts Council Agency
- Listen! Listen! Listen! recored in 2021 for release in 2022, underwritten by the Illinois Arts Council Agency
Festivals, Schools, Libraries and other clients include:
- Apple Fest, Arts in the Dark, Make Music Chicago, Taste of Des Plaines, Thirsty Ears and other seasonal festivals
- Art Institute of Chicago: Block Party 2018, Chinese Lunar New Year 2019
- Baker Demonstration School, Lycée Français, Wilmette Central, etc.
- CAPE: Telpochcalli Elementary, Pilsen
- Various Chicago Public, Glencoe, La Grange, Lincolnwood, Wilmette, and other local libraries
- Night Out in the Parks 2017-2021
- Newberry Library: Moby Dick, World’s Fair, Vintage Children Collection events 2016-19
- Cit Lit Books, Jimmy Beans Coffee, Timeless Toys, WHLee & Co. luthiers